Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Apostle Paul: What He Said and What We Need To Know Part I


I'm going to be doing a retreat about the Apostle Paul.
He's annoyed a lot of women.

Are you one of them?

Here's some things he's said:


  • A woman is responsible to her husband I Corinthians 11:3
  • A woman dishonors her husband if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, I Corinthians 11:5
  • And man was not made for woman's benefit, but woman was made for man. I Corinthians 11:9
  • Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. I Corinthians 14:34
  • [Women] should be submissive, just as the law says. If they have any questions to ask, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings. I Corinthians 14:35
  • Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I Timothy 2:11
  • do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. I Timothy 2:12
  • You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; he gave his life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22, 24
  • For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was the woman, not Adam, who was deceived by Satan, and sin was the result. I Timothy 2:13-15
  • And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do. I Timothy 2:9-10
  • Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. Titus 2:5


Based on these quotes,
what are your first impressions regarding Paul?

No comments:

Post a Comment